An update on this DVD Recorder repair. The electrolytic capacitor that I had ordered was ready for me so I went for a pleasant drive to Chester Hill to collect it and a few other items that I had ordered at the same time.
Once I got back, I removed the power supply from the unit and then desoldered my temporary capacitor. When I had installed my capacitor, I had deliberately left the leads cut a bit longer so that I could reuse it again. I inserted the new capacitor, soldered it in place, and cut the leads this time to the appropriate length. Next, reinstalled the power supply, connect up the cables, then put it on my testing bench, and powered on.
After a short time of displaying PLEASE, WAIT alternately, I get the clock displayed, with the correct time and not blinking, since it had been set earlier today.
Press the power button, and it shows channel 72 as being selected and sure enough the television that is connected through the HDMI interface is showing that TV channel.
The repair of this DVD Recorder is now complete, and it just needs to be left connected and turned on from time to time, until Saturday when I take it back to be collected.
Another successful and uneventful “Repair.IT“.