Rejuvenate.IT – Old Sofa

Since it was the festive season after celebrations of Christmas 2016 and the New Year of 2017, I thought it was time to tackle one of those jobs that have been sitting around, or laying around in this case.

We have an old wooden sofa with cloth covered foam cushions. Under the cushions is an arrangement of springs and spring wire and with the years (25+) the spring wire has stretched and the springs have loosened (or we have gotten heavier) such that it sags when we sit on it, or is uncomfortable if we lie down on it for having a nap.

I had been meaning to try out the Kreg pockethole system and this was a good opportunity to do this. It would mean removing the spring supports then replacing it with 19mm or 3/4in wooden boards. I had some 240mm width pine boards from a long time ago, and I had a long piece of 235mm width that I kept when our old kitchen was renovated some years ago. This piece was 3.2m long so by calculating the number of boards I would need and the length, I could get 5 pieces from this ex-kitchen board. Then I needed one piece of the pine.

The removal of the springs took a few hours, needing to remove the cloth cover first – unfortunately I didn’t have a photo of this. Then measuring up the gap to determine the board lengths – mostly 580-581mm in length except that the pieces on the sides were not parallel – anyway, I cut them to fit the gap.

dsc_0262

I chose to use the Kreg R3 Kit – because it was reasonably price, at $79, bought a Kreg face clamp for $39 then a box of 1.25in (100) with a coarse thread. Now the boards had to have a chamfer cut on the ends, so I had to adjust the Kreg jig accordingly to my satisfaction. Then drill each board with four pocket holes – clamp then in place and screw them in. Time to cut drill and screw the boards was about 4 hours. Plus removing the spring system in the first place was also about 4 hours. Not bad for a days work.

dsc_0266

Each board sits on a ledge which means that the screws will hold the boards in place without needing to hold the weight. The smaller wooden piece was the spreader that was left over from the spring system and was what I used to determine what board thickness to use. I could have removed it but decided to leave it as a reminder of what it used to be. And the final result?

dsc_0263

Looks like new (almost)! So, the final test is how it feels – very firm – just don’t plomp down on it, you will definitely feel it bottoming out. I think I will add a layer of high density foam to help with the cushioning – but when I try it out for nap – it feels fantastic as in the past, the two wooden supports which were between the cushions got in the way – now it is all flat. This old sofa has been rejuvenated.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s