I finally got a response back from Microsemi. Essentially, my complimentary support ended in 2012 and my warranty ended in 2013, so if I wish to proceed – I would have to pay 80USD or 65 Euro per support incident. Plus no guarantee of resolution.
Ok, so last night, I got the drives including the failed drive, and read 10MB from each one – this is so that I can work out the striping factor and the parity rotation order. It was at that time, that I noticed that my Hitachi 1TB drives were initially seen in my test machine as 32Mb and then the capacity increased to 1TB – this is interesting. It happened on all of the drives which is strange – so I did some further looking on the internet.
It turns out that there have been quite a few incidents of this happening to different manufacturer drives – with a seemingly common factor, a Gigabyte motherboard. I checked my test machine and certainly, this one is Gigabyte. So now I have a possible cause, my drives were checked out on my test machine, which is a Gigabyte. It seems that due to a motherboard bug, something might have been written to the disk, that somehow makes it think it is 32MB instead of 1TB.
Ok, more research now, to see about fixing this problem – and I guess I need to change motherboards on my test machine.