Just last week, my sister called me – her Dell Studio XPS desktop machine had installed some Windows Updates and now it will not allow her to log in.
It seems to be a problem that happens occasionally – as is reported on many websites. “The User Profile Service failed the logon”.
After first checking Microsoft, I found this link You receive a “The User Profile Service failed the logon” error message – which details about starting the computer in Safe mode, then making a few registry changes.
Anyway, on Thursday the computer was dropped off to me, however I was busy with the granny flat so did not get to look at it until the weekend.
Generally what I do is to remove the hard disk drive from the computer and run some tests on it to check that the hard disk drive is in working order. This is done by connecting it to another working computer with the same or later version operating system – this is so that the test computer can understand the NTFS format of drive being tested.
I ran a “chkdsk /f” on each disk volume, then once that was done, I then ran a “chkdsk /f /r” on each disk volume. On the main disk volume, a number of bad clusters were detected and mapped – ok.
Next, I take this hard disk drive, and mount it on a Linux computer, then make a raw disk image of the drive onto one of my network servers. In this case the disk is a Hitachi HDT721064SLA360 which has a 640GB capacity. The raw imaging completed successfully without any bad sectors, another sign that the disk is in reasonable condition.
Next step – I put the hard disk back into the Dell computer, then started it up. Sure enough, when trying to log in, we get the message that the User Profile Service failed the logon, so then I restarted, went into Safe mode, and made the registry changes. I also noticed that there were no system restore points – sometimes what we need to do is to restore to an earlier point, i.e. before the windows updates were run, but nothing was available. Anyway I restarted – however this time, it did not restart – didn’t even shut down, so after leaving it for some minutes, forced it to power off by pressing and holding down the power button.
On power up, I could log in and get a message that some Windows updates had been installed recently – that is good, means that the system knows about the updates. I went through some troubleshooting steps to check the System Restore task in the scheduler which appeared ok, then turned off System Restore and enabled it again. After this was done, I could do a create a manual restore point. After reboot, everything was still ok, so left it to the next day to check that an automatic restore point was created. Before I did this, I allowed it to update Quicktime and iTunes.
This morning, after turning the computer back on, I verified that I now have a few restore points to choose from, the manual one that I had made, an automatic one that occurred before the Apple updates, and the one from the power on this morning. I can safely say that the System Restore function is working again.
My sister just came a few minutes ago and collected her computer – another happy customer, albeit in this case – a free service.